In Partnership with


Online quote request

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Australia

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Australia:

    • A Copy of your Passport Photo Page
    • Completed Australian Customs Form B534
    • Copy of Visa or E-Visa Approval (Applicable for Non-Citizens of Australia)
    • Detailed Inventory / Packing list. We can provide this if packing for you. You can download a blank copy here to complete yourself
    • Alcohol Inventory, if applicable
    • The Original Bill of Lading if no Telex Release/Waybill issued (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB). We will take care of this if performing the entirety of the move

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Australia. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Australian Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Commbank |Australia’s largest bank

    Popular Destinations in Australia

    Global Moving Services is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Australia:

    Perth (Western Australia), Fremantle (Western Australia), Alice Springs (Northern Territory), Darwin (Northern Territory), Cairns (Queensland), Townsville (Queensland), Mackay (Queensland), Gladstone (Queensland), Brisbane (Queensland), Newcastle (New South Wales), Sydney (New South Wales), Hobart (Tasmania), Melbourne (Victoria), Adelaide (South Australia), Canberra (Australian Capital Territory). Get a quote to one of these places

    Additional Services

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 121 392 1720, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to Australia, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 121 392 1720

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Australia, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    Setting Up a Bank Account

    Say hello to Commonwealth Bank of Australia

    There’s a lot to look forward to when you move to Australia. Whether you’re surfing at a sunny beach, enjoying fresh seafood or commuting on a ferry over bright blue waters; every day will be an adventure. We want to make sure you have the confidence to move smoothly and easily, knowing there’s a financial partner at your side. That’s why we’re introducing you to Commonwealth Bank of Australia. They’re known to Aussies as CommBank.

    Meet the bank more new arrivals choose.

    CommBank is Australia’s largest bank. They’ve been helping Australian dreams come true since 1911, and support more people moving to Australia than any other bank.

    With a variety of products and services, you can get your banking sorted in no time. Find helpful hints and tips about moving to Australia by visiting their Moving to Australia website.

    Notable Benefits

    • Australia’s largest bank.
    • Bank on the go with the CommBank app.
    • An extensive branch and ATM network available across Australia.
    • Multi-lingual staff in some branches.
    • ATMs with foreign language capabilities.
    • Tips and guidance about moving to Australia available on CommBank’s website.

    CommBank is excited to welcome you to Australia.

    Things you should know: Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 is a company incorporated in Australia with limited liability and subject to Australian regulation.

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Australia:

    • Vehicle Import Approval (VIA)
    • Registration papers from country of origin
    • Purchase receipt

    Additional Import Advice

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Australia:

    • A VIA must be obtained prior to the importation of motor vehicles.
    • The restrictions for documents and Customs regulations must be met for the importation for privately owned motor vehicles.
    • Customs clearance is required at the port of entry.
    • Customs duties and goods and services taxes (GST) must be paid at the time of vehicle import with the exception of returning Australian vehicles when GST only applies. GST only is payable on motorcycle imports.
    • Contact the Australian Taxation Office to determine if and when luxury car taxes (LCT) must be paid. https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Luxury-car-tax/

    Relocating Your Pets to Australia

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Australia:

    • Import Permit
    • Import Application

    Additional Import Advice

    • All animals imported to Australia must meet the requirements of the Australian Department of Agriculture and Water Resources and will be quarantined upon arrival.
    • Import Permits take approximately 10 business days from the date receipt by Department of Agriculture to be approved; however, incomplete or incorrect applications may take longer.
    • Shippers must select a quarantine station for the animal prior to import.
    • Animals may be visited by only the person identified as the importer during the quarantine period.

    Note: It is critical to contact Department of Agriculture and Water Resources prior to the import of pets as requirements and restrictions are dependent upon the country of origin and vary dramatically per type of animal.

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to Australia. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Australia:

    • Antibiotics
    • Asbestos
    • Cat and dog fur products
    • Cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises)
    • Anabolic and androgenic substances (those that enhance muscle and bone growth, and may include health supplements)
    • Dog collars designed to puncture or bruise an animal’s skin
    • Diamonds (only rough diamonds in tamper proof container from a country participating in the Kimberley Process may be imported and require a Kimberley Process Certificate)
    • Counterfeit credit cards
    • Fish and tooth fish
    • Laser pointers
    • Kava may be imported in root or dried form in amounts not to exceed 2 kg and is carried as accompanied baggage by a passenger 18 years or older
    • Trade Practices Act goods
    • Weapons (military goods and other weapons including blow pipes, crossbows, martial arts equipment, knuckle dusters, slingshots, maces and flails)
    • Alcohol (Customs duties plus goods and services tax (GST) will apply to alcohol imported into Australia. Duty is calculated on the type of alcohol, the volume contained per bottle, the alcohol % per bottle and the value per bottle. Ten percent (10%) GST is then added to the duty calculated.)
    • ANZAC and any related advertising material
    • Items bearing an image of the Australian national flag and coat of arms
    • Items bearing an image of the Australian state or territory flags and coat of arms
    • Glazed ceramic ware
    • Chemical weapons
    • Chewing tobacco and snuff in quantities greater than 1.5 kg)
    • Cigarette lighters (up to five lighters acceptable if over 18 years or older on a ship or aircraft)
    • Cosmetics and toxic materials (cannot contain more than 250 mg/kg of lead but may contain more than 250 mg/kg of lead acetate designed for use in hair products)
    • Crowd control equipment (antipersonnel sprays, body armour, extendable batons, electric shock devices, etc.)
    • Cultural heritage goods from Papua New Guinea (permission from the Trustees of the Papua New Guinea Public Museum and Art Gallery is required)
    • Passengers arriving on board a ship or aircraft do not need a permit for the import of drugs and narcotics required for personal use if: the drugs and narcotics are prescribed by a medical practitioner or veterinarian, and quantity does not exceed a three (3) month’s supply at the maximum prescribed dosage, and the drugs/narcotics are carried as accompanied baggage; prescription must be in English or translated to English.
    • Firearms and accessories, parts, magazine, ammunition, components of ammunition, and replica
    • The following items are embargoed goods and are restricted and require permission to import. Contact the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) for additional information:
      • Eritrea – weapons, ammunition, military vehicles and equipment and spare parts
      • Iran – weapons, ammunition, military vehicle and equipment and spare parts
      • North Korea – weapons ammunition, military vehicles and equipment and spare parts
      • Libya – weapons, ammunition, military vehicles and equipment and spare parts
    • Endangered animal and plant listed in the appendices to the Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES)
    • Novelty erasers (resembling food in scent or appearance)
    • Plastic explosives formulated as a mixture, malleable or flexible at room temperature or with one or more high explosives which in pure form have a vapour pressure less than 10.4 PA at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius
    • A binder material
    • Electronic flyswatters and mosquito bats
    • Growth hormones and substances of human or animal origin
    • Hazardous wastes (explosive flammable, poisonous, toxic, exotoxin or infectious, clinical wastes, waste oils, waste residue from manufacture or household waste as defined by the Basel Convention)
    • Hydrofluorocarbons
    • Incandescent lamps
    • Knives and daggers
    • Novelty money boxes coated with material containing more than 90 mg/kg of lead
    • Ozone depleting substances and synthetic greenhouse gases
    • Pencils and paintbrushes with a coating that contains excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium
    • Pesticides and other hazardous chemicals
    • Polychlorinated Biphenyls, Terphenyls and Polyphenols
    • Pornography and other objectionable materials
    • Woolpacks
    • Radioactive substances
    • Therapeutic drugs and substances (abortifacients, aphrodisiacs, etc.)
    • Unmanufactured tobacco (not stemmed or stripped or in whole form)
    • Toys containing excess amounts of toxic compounds such as lead, arsenic and barium

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to Australia:

    • Dogs (dangerous breeds including Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa, American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario and advertisements referencing these breeds
    • Embryo clones and viable materials, and any related advertising matter advertising these items
    • Suicide devices
    • Rough diamonds (see provision under Restricted/Dutiable Items)
    • The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
      • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
      • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
      • Airbags
      • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
      • Ammunition of any kind
      • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
      • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
      • Biological Samples
      • Car Batteries
      • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
      • Chainsaws
      • Cheques (Bank)
      • Christmas Crackers
      • Counterfeit Currency
      • Dangerous Goods
      • Driving Licence
      • Drugs (Including Prescription)
      • Engines
      • Excrement / Filth
      • Fire Extinguishers
      • Fish (Dead or Live)
      • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
      • Hazardous Goods
      • Human Remains (including ashes)
      • Infectious Substances
      • Knives
      • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
      • Lighters
      • Lottery Tickets
      • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
      • Oils
      • Paints
      • Passports
      • Perishable Goods (All)
      • Plants / Seeds etc
      • Printer Toner
      • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
      • Stamps
      • Tobacco
      • Water
      • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
      • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.