Why Purchase Transit Insurance?

Whilst great care is taken during the removal of your property, there are many risks of loss or damage, which are beyond GMS’ control.

Should you purchase an all-risk insurance policy?

On every move we undertake, the greatest possible care is taken with your goods and your home. However, there is always a risk of loss or damage that is beyond our control.

An insurance policy with GMS  (typically charged at 3% of the total value of your goods) will give you complete peace of mind. GMS’ liability for loss or damage is limited by our contract terms and conditions incorporated into all of our removal, storage, and shipping contracts.

For these reasons, we strongly advise you to take out an all-risks insurance policy to protect against any risk during the removal, storage, and transit process.

Who provides our insurance?

Our insurance is all handled through Basil Fry and Company. A company dedicated to the removals and storage, self-storage and commercial property industry. They have over 50 years of experience in the industry.

What will we provide you with?

GMS will provide you with the full details of the insurance policy for you to decide how to proceed. We will not give you advice or personal recommendations as to whether the policy is suitable for your specific needs. However, stress the importance of arranging appropriate insurance for your move.

What will you pay?

You will be provided with a quote, typically charged at 3% of the total value of your goods. This will be payable before your move. If you wish to cancel your insurance, we may charge for any costs involved.

You will receive the following:

  • A quotation
  • A policy summary
  • A Quote acceptance & insurance proposal from
  • Confirmation of insurance

*Claim procedure – The confirmation document will provide you with details on how to make a claim on the insurance.

What happens if my insured property gets lost or damaged in transit?

Before your move, it’s important to consider that some countries have free health cover, but others do not. Make sure you’re in the process of getting health insurance or have begun the necessary registration process.

Make sure your family is ready

In the event of loss or damage where a claim may be made, immediate notice must be given in writing by you to the insurer’s representatives, i.e., GMS and or the corresponding mover at the destination. This should happen no later than 30 days after delivery or the scheduled delivery date. Where a claim is notified late, it may prejudice your insurer’s position and affect how the claim is considered. You will receive a claim form and, detailed instructions on how to proceed should you go ahead with a claim.

To enable claims to be dealt with efficiently,  you should:

  • Only claim for items that are lost/damaged and covered by the policy.
  • Provide all supporting documents quickly.
  • Submit repair estimates/ evidence of the original / replacement purchase price and photos of any damage within your claim form.

A full policy document will be sent,  along with your quote detailing all the terms and conditions. Please agree to the terms and declare the values of your goods to be moved. Without this, we cannot provide cover and,  your attention should be drawn to our standard terms and conditions of service and our limited liability.

Are we covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS)?

Basil Fry is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme (FSCS). You may be entitled to compensation from the scheme if Basil Fry are unable to meet their obligations under this contract of insurance. If you were entitled to compensation under the Scheme, the level and extent of the compensation would depend on the nature of this contract of insurance.

Further information about the Scheme is available from the FSCS, Tenth Floor, Beaufort House, 15 St. Botolph Street, London EC3A 7QU and on their website: www.fscs.org.uk or the FSCS helpline on: 0207 7414 100 or 0800 678 1100.

Your rights as a customer to take legal action remain unaffected by the existence or use of any complaint procedure referred to above. However, the Financial Ombudsman Service will not adjudicate on any cases where litigation has commenced.

Complaints that cannot be resolved by the Basil Fry Complaints Manager may be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service at:

South Quay Palza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR

Email: complaint.info@financial-ombudsman.org.uk

Website: https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

From within the United Kingdom

Telephone number: 0800 0234 567 (free for people phoning from a “fixed line”, for example, a landline at home)

Telephone number: 0300 1239 123 (free for mobile-phone users who pay a monthly charge for calls to number starting 01 or 02)

From outside the United Kingdom

Telephone number: +44 (0) 207 964 1000

If you are unsure about anything regarding your potential move or relating to your move insurance we are always happy to help.

Just call us on +44 (0) 20 7097 5335 or email move@gmsmove.com