Get a quote

Our all-inclusive moving package covers the essentials at one affordable price. Call us on +44 (0) 121 392 1720 or complete the form and get a quote within an hour.

[get_quote_location location=”Greece”]

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]

A Guide to Relocating to Greece

Want to move to Athens? Considering moving to Thessaloniki? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Greece…

Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Greece

Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Greece:

  • Copy of Passport for each family member entering with shipper (persons entering from nonEuropean Union countries (EU) must present an original Passport issued within the 2 years preceding entry; otherwise, the previous Passport must also be presented)
  • Copy of Removal packing list – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
  • Original Bill of Lading (OBL) – or copy if Express Release / Convention Marchandises Routiers (CMR) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Greece for you.
  • Original T2L Form (page 4), if applicable
  • Certificate of Repatriation (persons entering from non-EU countries requesting duty-free entry)
  • Shipper’s value added tax (VAT) ID Number obtained at a Greek Tax office closest to new residence [persons entering from non-EU countries requesting duty-free entry]
  • Residence Permit issued by Greek authorities (foreigners)
  • Diplomatic Franchise (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
  • T1 Form (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
  • Shipper’s contact information
  • Copy of Diplomatic Passport (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)

We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Greece. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Greek Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

Additional Removal Advice

  • Shipments arriving from non-EU countries have three options for Customs clearance: dutyfree entry, the payment of duties and taxes, or diplomatic shipment.
  • The shipper must have lived abroad for a period of 2 years preceding entry and cannot have any financial ties during this time period in Greece; proof of residency may be required, such as utility bills, tax forms, rental receipts, etc. (entering from non-EU countries requesting dutyfree entry).
  • Shippers from non-EU countries who qualify for duty-free entry should contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in the country of origin prior to departure.
  • An authorization form and an affidavit form may be required by agent; contact agent for details.
  • The shipper must be present for Customs clearance at the port of Piraeus.
Helpful Downloads

Everything you need to help you plan your move.

[tek_photobox phb_title=”My Move Checklist” phb_description=”To help you keep on track with your international removal.” phb_text_align=”text-center” phb_image=”3428″ phb_custom_link=”box-link” phb_box_link=”||target:%20_blank|”]
[tek_photobox phb_title=”Removal Inventory / Packing List:” phb_description=”For use if you need to provide a removal packing list or moving inventory yourself for your international removal service.” phb_text_align=”text-center” phb_image=”3428″ phb_custom_link=”box-link” phb_box_link=”||target:%20_blank|”]
[tek_photobox phb_title=”Removal Survey Cubic Calculator:” phb_description=”For use if you need to find out the volume of your move before making an enquiry. Remember when doing an international move, to allow a little more space for loading volume.” phb_text_align=”text-center” phb_image=”3429″ phb_custom_link=”box-link” phb_box_link=”||target:%20_blank|”]
[tek_photobox phb_title=”Easy Self Survey Tool:” phb_description=”For use for you to better describe the requirements of your move. This outlines all the things that a professional international removal company would need to know to physically move your goods.” phb_text_align=”text-center” phb_image=”3428″ phb_custom_link=”box-link” phb_box_link=”||target:%20_blank|”]
[tek_photobox phb_title=”International Removal Insurance Form:” phb_description=”If you’re taking out insurance with us, download this form, complete it and email it back to your international relocation manager.” phb_text_align=”text-center” phb_image=”3428″ phb_custom_link=”box-link” phb_box_link=”||target:%20_blank|”]

Popular Destinations in Greece

Global Moving Services is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Greece:

Athens, Thessaloniki, Patras, Heraklion, Larissa, Volos, Acharnes. Get a quote to one of these places

Need Help?

If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 121 392 1720, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

Moving Your Money

If you’re moving to Greece, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 121 392 1720.

Get Insurance

We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Greece, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Greece:

  • Vehicle ownership documents
  • Proof of car insurance
  • Diplomatic Franchise (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
  • Diplomatic ID (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
  • Letter from Embassy certifying Diplomat’s employment, including beginning and ending dates
  • Driver’s License

Additional Import Advice

  • Shippers importing vehicles using a Tourist Status may temporarily import vehicles duty free for a period of up to 6 months.
  • Shippers possessing a Certificate of Repatriation for Primary Residence may import vehicles duty free; shipper must be present for Customs clearance at the port of entry.
  • The shipper may be required to pay for a Greek license plate and a luxury tax (persons holding a Certificate of Repatriation).
  • For persons importing a vehicle who hold a Certificate of Repatriation, the vehicle must be in the shipper’s possession and in use for at least 6 months in the country of origin prior to import.
  • Diplomats can import vehicles with temporary duty-free entry.
[tek_divider div_shape=”dotted_line” div_width=”divider_full_width”]

Relocating Your Pets to Greece

These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Greece:

  • Veterinarian Health Certificate
  • Pet Passport
  • Vaccination Record

Additional Import Advice

  • Pets must have a microchip.
  • A rabies test must be performed by a certified European Union (EU) laboratory a minimum of 2 months prior to entry into Greece.
  • Documentation must be issued by a licensed veterinarian at the time of export from Customs in the origin country, granting permission to enter an EU country.
  • No quarantine period is required.
  • Duties and taxes do not apply to pets owned by the shipper for at least 1 year.
[tek_divider div_shape=”dotted_line” div_width=”divider_full_width”]
Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

Think very carefully before moving these items to Greece. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Greece:

  • Alcohol and spirits (only a small quantity is permitted; items must be identified as kitchenware and loaded first in the container or truck)
  • Hunting weapons (authorization from the Ministry of Interior is required)
  • Duties apply to the assessed Customs values as follows:
  • Electrical items 23%
  • Electronic items 35%
  • Furniture 18%
  • Carpets 30%
  • Computers and fax machines 18%
  • Antiques (over 100 years) 8%
[tek_divider div_shape=”dotted_line” div_width=”divider_full_width”]
Prohibited/Banned Items
Do not move any of these items to Greece:
  • Drugs
  • Cigarettes
  • Explosive materials
  • Guns
  • Alcohol
  • The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens
[tek_divider div_shape=”dotted_line” div_width=”divider_full_width”]

Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.