A Guide to Relocating to Egypt
Want to move to Cairo? Considering moving to Alexandria? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Egypt…
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Egypt
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Egypt:
- Original Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods) with Egyptian Resident / Work Permit
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Egypt for you.
- Detailed moving inventory, valued, dated and signed in English
- Removal packing list – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
- Form 4DE (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Letter of Guarantee
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Egypt. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Egyptian Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- All items are subject to taxes, including consumables.
- All audio visual goods (tapes, video, books, DVD, CD ROMS, etc.) will be inspected, viewed, read by Customs and released no sooner than 3 weeks after import.
- Removal packing list must be clear and legible as it will be translated into Arabic; do not indicate “Miscellaneous,” “Packed by Owner,” or “PBO.”
- Private shippers must pay duties and taxes.
- All shipments, from private to half-diplomatic are subject to Customs inspection.
- Extra charges may be applied for the inspection of special items, including: alcohol, food, phones, paintings, etc.; check with agent for details.
- Inspection fees and taxes are paid by the shipper.
- All private shippers not having a Letter of Guarantee must pay duties and taxes in cash.
- The Letter of Guarantee states an amount of money corresponding to the amount of duties and taxes to be paid; these funds are placed into a bank account and released to the shipper when moving out of Egypt; at that time, all items must be exported, otherwise taxes and fines will be paid on each missing item.
- The Guarantee can only be obtained with a Work Permit and Work Visa.
- Vehicles and all audio visual goods must be loaded at the door of the container.
- The Moving inventory must state the model, brand, size and content (e.g., Sony 40″ Television) for all electrical and electronic items.
- Instruction manuals must be attached to printers and fax machines.
- Wooden crates in air or sea shipments must be fumigated.
- Diplomatic missions and some international organizations must apply for duty and tax exemptions on personal effects (approximately 7 to 21 working days).
- Diplomats may be exempted from Customs duties and inspection provided they apply for and are granted Form 4DE (Protocol).
Everything you need to help you plan your move.
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in Egypt
Global Moving Services is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Egypt:
Cairo, Alexandria, Giza, Shubra El Kheima, Port Said, Suez, Luxor, Mansoura. Get a quote to one of these places
If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 121 392 1720, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to Egypt, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 121 392 1720.
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Egypt, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Egypt:
- Original Registration Card
- Original Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods) with Residence / Work Permit
- Original Bill of Lading
Additional Import Advice
- Only Diplomats may import cars older than 1 year of age.
- The Temporary registration must be obtained by the shipper.
- OBL must show chassis number, engine number, cubic capacity, year of manufacture, brand and model.
- Shipper must pay applicable fees upon delivery.
- For non-Diplomats, taxes will range from 70% to 170 % CIF value (the value is assessed by the Customs officers).
Relocating Your Pets to Egypt
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Egypt:
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Vaccination Record
Additional Import Advice
- Veterinary Health Certificate must be issued at point of origin no more than 2 weeks from date of issue.
- Pets will be examined upon arrival by a doctor from the Egyptian Ministry of Agriculture
- Animals suspected of having rabies will be quarantined; charges will apply.
- Live chicks are the only bird permitted for import and must meet all health requirements
Think very carefully before moving these items to Egypt. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Egypt:
- Firearms and ammunitions (authorization from the local administration required)
- Alcohol (free for Diplomats); 3000% duty (non-Diplomats)
- Perfume for personal use
- Scanners, printers, phones and faxes (agreement by Egyptian Authorities required)
Do not move any of these items to Egypt:
- Wireless phones
- Unlawful drugs and narcotics
- The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.