Francia / França / Frankreich / Frankrike

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To France

    Please note, many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU State and/or you are a citizen of the EU. This is due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to France:

    • Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
    • Visa, if applicable
    • Removal packing list – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
    • Detailed Moving inventory valued in Euro and signed by the owner of the goods
    • Certificate of Transfer
    • Non-resale attestation
    • Proof of residence in France
    • Bill of lading (express release) / air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to France for you.
    • Sales invoices for items purchased within 6 months prior to import
    • Certificate of change of residence by the French Consulate

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to France. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at French Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Additional Removal Advice

    • All items are subject to taxes, including consumables.
    • All audio visual goods (tapes, video, books, DVD, CD ROMS, etc.) will be inspected, viewed, read by Customs and released no sooner than 3 weeks after import.
    • The removal packing list must be clear and legible as it will be translated into Arabic; do not indicate “Miscellaneous,” “Packed by Owner,” or “PBO.”
    • Private shippers must pay duties and taxes.
    • All shipments, from private to half-diplomatic are subject to Customs inspection.
    • Extra charges may be applied for the inspection of special items including alcohol, food, phones, and paintings. Check with the agent for details.
    • Inspection fees and taxes are paid by the shipper.
    • All private shippers not having a Letter of Guarantee must pay duties and taxes in cash.
    • The Letter of Guarantee states an amount of money corresponding to the number of duties and taxes to be paid. These funds are placed into a bank account and released to the shipper when moving out of Egypt. All items must then be exported, otherwise, taxes and fines will be paid on each missing item.
    • The Guarantee can only be obtained with a Work Permit and Work Visa.
    • Vehicles and all audio visual goods must be loaded at the door of the container.
    • The Moving inventory must state the model, brand, size and content (e.g., Sony 40″ Television) for all electrical and electronic items.
    • Instruction manuals must be attached to printers and fax machines.
    • Wooden crates in air or sea shipments must be fumigated.
    • Diplomatic missions and some internationa
      • Owner of the goods’ presence for Customs clearance is not required.
      • A visa is only necessary if other documentation cannot be provided.
      • Removal packing list is not required for Customs clearance, but is required at time of delivery.
      • Certificate of change of residence by the French Consulate must show that the owner of the goods has established primary residence in origin country for at least 12 months.
      • If less than 12 months abroad, the shipment is subject to more duties and taxes.
      • Certificate of transfer must be on employer letterhead with date of employment in the origin country and date of transfer.
      • Certificate of transfer must also show proof of at least 12 months abroad and primary residence in origin country.
      • This document may not be accepted by all Customs office for free entry.
      • Non-resale attestation must be completed, dated, and signed by the owner of the goods and must mention a vehicle when applicable.
      • Proof of residence in France, such as last phone or electricity bill, rental contract (less than 3 months old).
      • Sales invoices must clearly identify items, date, year and place of purchase.
      • Used household goods in the owner of the goods’ possession or use for at least 6 months are duty free if the owner of the goods’ primary residence will be in France.
      • If the payment of duties is required, authorization must be obtained from French Customs prior to arrival.
      • For countries outside Europe items are subject to VAT of 20% plus duties (about 10%).
      • Customs clearance takes approximately 3 to 4 days to clear the effects.
      • For free entry, transfer of primary residence and the owner of the goods must have spent at least 12 months abroad.

      organizations must apply for duty and tax exemptions on personal effects (approximately 7 to 21 working days).

    • Diplomats may be exempted from Customs duties and inspection provided they apply for and are granted Form 4DE (Protocol).

    Cost of Moving from France to UK

    If you are thinking about moving to France make sure you set aside the minimum €60 visa fee, which could increase depending on the reason for your stay. You will also need to set aside costs for a removal company, so make sure you budget for at least £2000 if you are planning on taking household belongings with you to France.


    Popular Destinations in France

    Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in France:

    Paris, Marseille, Lyon, Toulouse, Nice, Nantes, Strasbourg, Montpellier, Bordeaux, Lille, Rennes, Reims, Le Havre, Saint-Étienne, Toulon, Grenoble, Dijon, Nîmes, Angers, Villeurbanne, Le Mans, Saint-Denis, Aix-en-Provence, Clermont-Ferrand, Brest, Limoges, Tours, Amiens, Perpignan, Metz. Get a quote to one of these places


    Need Help?

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to France, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to France, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to France:

    • Original certificate of title
    • Current vehicle registration
    • Copy of vehicle purchase invoice showing taxes paid
    • Import declaration

    Additional Import Advice

    • Customs duties are dependent on the vehicle’s country of origin; however, all imported vehicles are subject to value added tax (VAT).
    • Duties and taxes are paid when the vehicle is cleared through Customs.
    • The owner of the goods qualifies for duty and tax free entry if the following conditions are met:
    • They have spent more than 12 months abroad
    • They are transferring primary residence to France
    • They have owned / used the car for at least 6 months prior to shipment
    GMS Border Graphic

    Relocating Your Pets to France

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to France:

    • Veterinary Health Certificate
    • Vaccination Record

    Additional Import Advice

    • Pets must be identifiable through tattoo or electronic identification, such as microchip.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to France. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to France:

    • Alcoholic beverages must be registered and are permitted within the limits indicated by persons 17 years and older as accompanied baggage (include a separate and detailed moving inventory of each item and an import license / state liquor license may be required):
    • Wine (4 L)
    • Beer (16 L)
    • Alcohol not exceeding 22% alcohol by volume (2 L)
    • Alcohol exceeding 22% alcohol by volume (1 L)
    • Only “Fond de Cave” (15 bottles)
    • Tobacco products are subject to duty or taxpayments and can be imported by persons 17 years and older as accompanied baggage.
    • Firearms and weapons (proof of ownership, registration/certificates/licenses are required before importing); contact agent for specific information as some weapons are prohibited.
    • Medications for personal use only are permitted.
    • Customs clearance takes approximately 3 to 4 days once required documentation is obtained.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to France:

    • Weapons, ammunitions and explosives
    • Products made from animals (ivory, turtle shell, etc.)
    • Items protected by the 1973 Washington Convention (CITES)
    • Narcotics and drugs
    • Endangered flora and fauna species and products made from them

    The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:

    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.