Allemagne / Alemania / Alemanha / Deutschland / Tyskland

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Germany

    Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Germany:

    • Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
    • Copy of visa
    • Bill of lading (BL) / air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Germany for you.
    • Removal packing list in German or English – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
    • Customs declaration / signed letter by owner of the goods
    • Customs registration form 0350
    • Letter of employment orbotschaftsbescheinigung(returning citizens)
    • Certificate from the diplomatic organization in Germany (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Anmeldebestaetigung (registration)
    • Diplomatic entry form 0349 (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Germany. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at German Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Additional Removal Advice

    • Effective processing of the Customs declaration can only commence once the goods are in the European Union and have been presented at the Customs office.
    • Products imported into the European Customs Union are subject to duties only when and where the product first enters the European Union (e.g., Germany).
    • The Customs declaration should be provided by the local agent in Germany.
    • A letter signed by the owner of the goods certifying that the following taxable high value goods have not been included in the shipment:
    • Firearms
    • Alcohol
    • Tobacco
    • Cigarettes
    • Tea
    • Coffee
    • Customs registration form 0350 stating goods will not be sold for 12 months.
    • Letter of employment must state the term of employment will be for a minimum of 12 months and that the owner of the goods lived abroad for at least 12 months (will be issued by forwarding agent in Germany).
    • Anmeldebestaetigung can be obtained from the appropriate German town hal confirming registration of new residency in Germany (not older than 3 months).
    • Effective 1st November, 2015, the owner of the goods is required to obtain a confirmation letter, called “Wohngeberbescheinigung” from their future landlord in order to get a registration, “Anmeldebestaetigung”.
    • The confirmation letter, “Wohngeberbescheinigung” must confirm that the owner of the goods will live at the address mentioned.
    • Shipment must arrive in Germany within 12 months after registration in Germany.
    • Botschaftsbescheinigung from the German Embassy or Consulate at origin.
    • This document serves to confirm the period of time abroad (returning citizens).
    • Proof of registration may not be older than 3 months.
    • All goods for duty-free importation, such as household goods and personal effects must have been in the owner of the goods’ possession for at least 6 months in the origin country.
    • Duty-free entry for foreign diplomats is permitted if a bilateral agreement exists with the origin country.

    Popular Destinations in Germany

    Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Germany:

    Berlin, Hamburg, Munich, Cologne, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Düsseldorf, Dortmund, Essen, Leipzig, Bremen, Dresden, Hanover, Nuremberg, Duisburg, Bochum, Wuppertal, Bielefeld, Bonn, Münster, Karlsruhe, Mannheim, Augsburg, Wiesbaden, Gelsenkirchen, Mönchengladbach, Mainz, Erfurt, Kiel, Magdeburg, Potsdam. Get a quote to one of these places


    Need Help?

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to Germany, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with FC Exchange who specialise in doing just this. FC Exchange will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Germany, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Germany:

    • Proof of ownership
    • Original bill of lading
    • Anmeldebestatigung
    • Third-party liability insurance initiated at Customs clearance
    • Registration and copy of title from origin country
    • Car documents
    • Insurance card from country of origin

    Additional Import Advice

    • Owner of the goods’ town hall registration in Germany (Anmeldebestatigung).
    • Cars and motorcycles must be in the owner of the goods’ possession for at least 6 months at origin prior to shipment; adequate confirmation will be given by simple declaration as part of the Customs declaration.
    • Approval for possession and use requires title and insurance documents showing customers name and identified vehicle for import.
    • Cars must be inspected before licensing, and must comply with German technical and environmental regulations and may require modifications.
    • Customs clearance requires knowledge of all technical details of the car.
    • Tax and duties must be paid in advance to the Customs office.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Relocating Your Pets to Germany

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Germany:

    • Veterinary health certificate in German or translated by a licensed veterinarian
    • Vaccination record

    Additional Import Advice

    • The veterinary health certificate is valid ten days from the date in which it was issued (20 days for pets coming from non-European countries).
    • It must describe the animal and state that the pet is free from rabies and other contagious diseases.
    • Animals must be fitted with an identification microchip.
    • The import of cats and dogs under 3 months old requires the purchase of an import permit from the state authority of the future residence in the destination country as well as the authority of the port of entry (POE).
    GMS Border Graphic

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to Germany. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Germany:

    • Weapons (applicable license is required)
    • Alcohol (may be imported duty free in reasonable quantities; otherwise it is subject to duties and taxes)
    • Tobacco and cigarettes (subject to duties and taxes)
    • Live plants (special import license is required)
    GMS Border Graphic

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to Germany:

    • Drugs and narcotics
    • Ammunition
    • Dried plants
    • Certain types of meat
    • Radioactive materials
    • Any protected animal or species (ivory, snakeskin, leopard fur, etc.)
    • Items of historical significance (pre-Columbian items, etc.)
    • Pornographic materials
    • Explosives

    The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:

    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.