To make navigation of this page easier for you, we have added the below clickable menu and return buttons throughout.
MOVING TO HONG KONG
A Guide to Relocating to Hong Kong
Want to move to Victoria? Considering moving to Kowloon? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Hong Kong…
Everything you need to help you plan your international move to Hong Kong.
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Hong Kong
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Hong Kong:
- Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods) (identification pages only)
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Hong Kong for you.
- Detailed moving inventory – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
- Owner of the goods’ full contact details in Hong Kong (address, telephone, fax number, email address, etc.)
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Hong Kong. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Chinese Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- All household goods and personal effects can be imported free of duty.
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in Hong Kong
Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Hong Kong:
Kowloon, Aberdeen, Tseun Wan, Sha Tin, Tung Chung, Tuen Mun, Tai Po, Tin Shui. Get a quote to one of these places
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to Hong Kong, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 121 392 1720.
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Hong Kong, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Hong Kong:
- Original vehicle documentation
- Original purchase invoice
- Certificate of registration (must show boat dimensions)
- Import declaration
- Insurance certificate
Additional Import Advice
Certificate of registration must be submitted to Marine Department for application of import permit within 24 hours from arrival of effects.
- Left-hand drive cars cannot be imported.
- All vehicles are subject to strict regulatory inspections and high first registration taxes.
- Taxes are set to discourage the personal import of vehicles; it is highly recommended that an estimate of costs before shipping a vehicle, be obtained.
- First registration fee is based on value, as follows:
- Private Cars:
- From value HK $0 to 150,000 : 40%
- On the next HK $150,000 : 75%
- On the next HK $200,000 : 100%
- On the remainder : 115%
- 35% of value
- All vehicles must comply with the exhaust and noise emissions standard.
- Approval / exemption from the Environmental Protection Department before shipping vehicles into Hong Kong are advised.
- Vehicles must satisfy local standards.
- It is difficult to obtain insurance for vehicles older than 10 years.
Relocating Your Pets to Hong Kong
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Hong Kong:
- Health certificate from origin country
- Import permit
Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items
Think very carefully before moving these items to Hong Kong. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Hong Kong:
- Illegal drugs
- Firearms, explosives and ammunition (permission required)
- Controlled chemicals
- Pets and animals (permission required)
- Meat and poultry
- Counterfeit goods
- Pornographic material
- Rough diamonds
- Knives and deadly weapons
Do not move any of these items to Hong Kong:
- Dogs (dangerous breeds including Dogo Argentino, Fila Brasileiro, Japanese Tosa, American Pit Bull Terrier or Pit Bull Terrier, Perro de Presa Canario or Presa Canario and advertisements referencing these breeds
- Embryo clones and viable materials, and any related advertising matter advertising these items
- Suicide devices
- Rough diamonds (see provision under Restricted/Dutiable Items)
The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.