Japon / Japón / Japão

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Japan

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Japan:

    • Original Customs declaration form C5360
    • Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
    • Detailed removal packing list / moving inventory in English or Japanese – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
    • Ocean bill of lading (OBL) /air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Japan for you.
    • Keys / combinations to any locked baggage

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Japan. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Japanese Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Additional Removal Advice

    • The owner of the goods must be present in Japan prior to the Customs clearance.
    • The air shipment removal packing list requires a detailed value of the items.
    • Household goods and personal effects must be cleared within 6 months of the date of entry on the Customs declaration form C5360.
    • Two Customs declaration forms must be completed in duplicate for unaccompanied articles.
    • Both forms must be submitted to the officials at the accompanied baggage inspection area upon arrival in Japan.
    • One is used as the Customs record and the duplicate will be returned with an official seal.
    • This certified duplicate is required for clearance of the unaccompanied articles and shipments.
    • In the event the declaration form is not completed and certified by Customs officials upon entry, the shipment may be subject to duties and taxes.
    • Newly-purchased items are duty and tax free up to 200,000 in Japanese Yen / value per person, excluding an 8% consumption tax of the invoice.
    • The owner of the goods should keep receipts with English translation for new items, as duty and tax may apply.
    • Persons living in Japan for more than 1 year may import used household items and personal effects free of duties and taxes within specified timeframes.
    • Copy of passport includes all members of the family indicated on form C5360 with entry stamp, visa, photo and signature.
    • Original Customs declaration form C5360 certificated / stamped by Customs at airport of entry
    • Japanese houses and apartments are generally smaller than in Western countries.
    • Oversized furniture (e.g., couch, king size mattresses, etc.) may not fit through entrance doors, staircases, and other access areas.
    • Due to road conditions, traffic regulations /restrictions, ocean steel containers are inaccessible to an owner of the goods’ residence.
    • All shipments must be placed onto a smaller van from the container at a bonded warehouse on the day of delivery.

    Popular Destinations in Japan

    Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Japan:

    Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Kobe, Kyoto, Fukuoka, Kawasaki, Saitama. Get a quote to one of these places


    Need Help?

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to Japan, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Japan, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Japan:

    • Original Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
    • Vehicle registration
    • Application of duty exemption on automobiles
    • Proof of ownership for more than 1 year
    • Original bill of lading
    • Original Customs declaration form C-5360
    • KANGI form
    • Insurance certificate
    • Sales receipt / purchase receipt

    Additional Import Advice

    • Automobiles, boats, and other vehicles, may be included in household goods shipments, provided that the owner of the goods has owned the vehicle for more than 1 year prior to import from the origin country.
    • Automobiles and other vehicles may be imported temporarily free of duty and tax provided that they will be re-exported.
    • Automobiles must comply with Japanese exhaust emission control and safety regulations.
    • A test of emission control and safety regulations will be given (SHAKEN).
    • Modifications can be quite expensive for an imported car to be examined and registered.
    • KANGI forms can be obtained by the Foreign Ministry in Japan.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Relocating Your Pets to Japan

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Japan:

    • Veterinary health certificate
    • Vaccination record
    • Certificate from the Animal Quarantine Service
    • Microchip

    Additional Import Advice

    • Dogs, cats, foxes, raccoons and skunks imported into Japan must undergo import quarantine requirements in accordance with the Rabies Prevention Law.
    • Animals are subject to a quarantine period up to 12 hours.
    • Pets not meeting the required criteria must remain at an Animal Quarantine Service for the necessary quarantine period up to 180 days.
    • Depending on the results of the import inspection, pets/animals may be denied entry into Japan.
    • The owner of the goods shall obtain a certificate issued by the responsible government agency of the exporting country; it is recommended that the forms be obtained from the Animal Quarantine Service in Japan.
    • Animals and pets must be implanted with a microchip.
    • Microchip implanting must adhere to ISO standards 11784 / 11785.
      • If not, please bring a microchip reader with you.
    • The following preparations are recommended prior to import:
      • Advance notification (notify agent at least 40 days prior to the arrival date).
      • Approval of import inspection of animals
      • Clinical inspection before departure (rabies and leptospirosis).
      • Certification from the responsible government agency of origin (veterinary health certificate).
      • Transport (pet transport cage must sealed)
    • The following criteria must be met for importation:
      • Microchip number (standard, number, date of inspection, inspection point).
      • Kept for the past 180 days (or since birth) in the exporting country, or kept only in designated regions since exported from Japan.
      • Not infected nor suspected of being infected with rabies (for dogs, rabies and leptospirosis).
      • No occurrence of rabies in the exporting country in the past 2 years.
      • Immunizations for diseases other than rabies and parasite treatment (date of treatments, address and name of the veterinarian who administered the treatments, vaccine effectiveness period, and product name).
      • The transport cage seal number.
    • For pets/animals that have been kept for less than 180 days in the exporting country before arrival in Japan, the date of entry into the exporting country and names of the countries (regions) where pets/animals had been before shall be clearly indicated on the certificate issued by the responsible government agency in the country of export.
    • If the pet/animal is in countries (regions) other than the designated regions, it will be detained in an Animal Quarantine Service to make up for the incomplete part of the 180 day residency period after arrival in Japan.
    • The rabies free designated regions (countries) as of June 7, 2005, are Taiwan, Iceland, Ireland, Sweden, Norway, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Hawaii and Guam; further certification is required for pets/animals from regions other than these designated regions.
    • The quarantine period of pets/animals entering Japan will be within 12 hours if the following requirements are satisfied:
      • Pets/animals have a microchip implanted and were vaccinated twice against rabies with an inactivated vaccine.
        • The second vaccination was given not less than 30 days and not more than 1 year (or within the validity) after the first vaccination.
      • After the two vaccinations, a neutralizing antibody titration test was carried out at a laboratory approved by the Japanese government and showed a serum antibody level of at least 0.5 IU/ml.
      • At arrival not less than 180 days and not more than 2 years having passed since the above serum had been sampled.
      • If 180 days have not passed at time of arrival, pets/animals will be detained in a quarantine facility to make up for the days of shortage.
        • Pets/animals that do not fulfill the above requirements shall be kept in quarantine for 180 days.
      • After vaccination the animal must receive subsequent rabies booster vaccinations.
      • The animal must show no clinical sign of rabies, and leptospirosis for dogs, immediately before departure.
    • Quarantine examinations performed at private residences are not accepted.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to Japan. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Japan:

    • Plants with or without soil, fresh fruits and vegetables (a quarantine certificate is required prior to Customs examination).
    • To import fresh meat including poultry, sausage, ham, bacon or any other meat products requires an animal health certificate issued by the animal health authority of the exporting country.
    • Bones, eggs, fat, blood, skins, hides, pelts, Fur, hair, feathers, down, horns, antlers, hooves etc. (subject to an animal quarantine inspection)
    • Medicines and cosmetics (e.g., pharmaceutical products; amount for use during a period of 2 months; quasi-drugs: 24 pieces)
    • Firearms (a permit is required)
    GMS Border Graphic

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to Japan:

    • Psychotropic substances (excluding those designated by an ordinance of the Ministry of Health and Welfare)
    • Counterfeit, altered, or imitated articles of coins, paper money, banknotes, or securities
    • Books, drawings, carvings, and any other article which injures public security or morals (obscene or immoral materials, pornography, etc.)
    • Articles which infringe upon rights in patents, utility-models, designs, trademarks, copyrights, neighboring rights, or layout design of integrated circuits
    • Firearms (pistols, rifles, machine guns, etc.) and ammunition (bullets) thereof, and parts of firearms
    • Weapons (swords, daggers, bows and arrows, etc. with blades more than 15 centimeters in length prohibited)
    • Opium, ether, narcotic drugs and utensils for opium smoking, and stimulants (including Vicks Inhalers and Sudafed)

    The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:

    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.