To make navigation of this page easier for you, we have added the below clickable menu and return buttons throughout.
MOVING TO MALAYSIA
Malaisie / Malasia / Malásia
A Guide to Relocating to Malaysia
Want to move to Kuala Lumpur? Considering moving to Georgetown? Or thinking about an international removal to Johor Bahru. Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Malaysia…
Everything you need to help you plan your international move to Malaysia.
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Malaysia
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Malaysia:
- Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
- Detailed moving inventory in English, dated and signed by the owner of the goods
- Copy of bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Malaysia for you.
- Full contact information of the owner of the goods in Malaysia
- Letter of employment / copy of work permit
- List of electrical items
- Diplomatic exemption letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (obtained by the Embassy – diplomats)
- Copy of Malaysian ID (returning citizens)
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Malaysia. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Malaysian Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- The owner of the goods must be present in the country when the goods are being imported
- All shipments are subject to Customs examination
- ISPM 15 fumigation is required for all wooden packaging materials at origin country prior to import.
- All used household goods and personal effects used and owned by the owner of the goods for more than 6 months may be imported into Malaysia duty free.
- Items less than 6 months old are subject to Customs duties and taxes.
- Some entry ports in Malaysia may require an electrical board permit for all electrical goods.
- The list of electrical items must include the item name, model, make, serial number and year of purchase (not required for port of entry at Port Kelang).
- List of additional items include detailed information for books, VCDs, DVDs, CDs, etc. included in shipment
- The diplomatic letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs takes approximately 7-10 business days to obtain; check with agent regarding requirements to be included in the letter.
- Contact the destination agent in Malaysia for further instruction.
Antiques, Artifacts, Carpets, Paintings
- Import permit
- Photograph of Item
- Valuation report
- Origin certificate
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in Malaysia
Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Malaysia:
Kuala Lumpur, George Town (Penang), Ipoh (Perak), Shah Alam (Selangor). Get a quote to one of these places
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to Malaysia, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Malaysia, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Malaysia:
- Original passport (1 copy)
- Original registration (1 copy)
- Original insurance policy in country of origin proving use (1 copy)
- Letter from owner of the goods requesting permission to import a motor vehicle
- Proof of ownership
Additional Import Advice
- All motor vehicles imported attract high import duties and taxes.
- All documentation is required a minimum of 7 days prior to arrival of the vessel or 2 days prior to arrival of the flight to avoid incurring additional shipments (excludes diplomats).
- The process can take between 7 – 14 working days for the Ministry to issue the exemption letter.
- The owner of the goods must apply for 1 import permit per vehicle with the Ministry of International Trade and Industry in Kuala Lumpur prior to import.
- The owner of the goods can only import a motor vehicle if approved.
- Import duties where the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value is less than RM 20,000.00, is approximately 170% – 300% and subject to taxes of approximately 10% – 20%.
Relocating Your Pets to Malaysia
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Malaysia:
- Certificate of vaccination
- Import permit
- Veterinary health certificate
Additional Import Advice
- To apply for an import permit the owner of the goods must provide rabies / vaccination given 2 weeks validity with documentation and a microchip, along with the owner of the goods’ passport and/or Malaysian ID (returning citizens), and their complete address.
- This takes a day and is valid for 30 days.
- West Malaysia and East Malaysia have completely different set of government regulations.
- Please check with destination agent in Malaysia for more specific information.
- All pets arriving after 10:00pm, will be charged for overtime cost at USD 80.00 flat rate
- No food will be provided while in quarantine, please make sure sufficient food is supplied at the quarantine.
- Attach food for the duration of quarantine; otherwise food will be given for a cost.
- Space must be reserved for quarantine in advance of arrival.
- The owner of the goods is allowed to visit the pet(s) at quarantine within office hours and on weekends upon special request to be made in advance.
- Every pet owner is allowed to import their own pets, as long as rabies / vaccination documentation is up to date.
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued 7 days prior to departure and state that the animal has been free from rabies during the preceding 6 months.
- Cats and dogs are subject to quarantine in West Malaysia, if they are imported from Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Japan or Sweden.
- Cats and dogs are subject to quarantine between 30 and 180 days inEast Malaysia.
- The government State Veterinarian Department will consider house quarantine after 30 days, subject to a formal application and approval during the first week of quarantine.
- Detailed information regarding the transport of animals must be provided to the destination airport prior to departure, including the type and number of pets.
Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items
Think very carefully before moving these items to Malaysia. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Malaysia:
- Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items (Warning Symbol)
- Liquor, wine and tobacco (a special import permit is required and is difficult to obtain); these items are subject to high import duties and taxes.
- To import alcohol or tobacco a list must be supplied mentioning type of alcohol, quantity in ml or liter, country of origin, purchase value and percent of alcohol.
- The following items may qualify for free import if within the indicated limits:
- Cigarettes (200), tobacco (225 g)
- Alcohol (1 L)
- Books,VCD,DVD, CD, etc. (subject to censorship screening on arrival).
- A screening fee will be charged directly to the owner of the goods.
- Restricted pets include:
- Bull mastiff
- Bull terrier
- Belgian / German shepherds
- To import these pets requires a pedigree certificate and micro-chip.
- The government veterinary officer will inspect owner’s residence prior to approval for import permit.
Do not move any of these items to Malaysia:
- Narcotics (the death penalty is given for drug trafficking)
- Non-branded drugs
- Firearms, gas pistols, electric shock batons, stun guns (and similar weapons), ammunition and explosives (flares incorporating a barrel, etc.)
- Indecent or obscene video cassettes, DVDs, films, books, magazines and other articles
- Flick knives, butterfly knives and certain other offensive weapons, including some martial arts weapons
- Counterfeit currency
- Radio transmitters, walkie-talkies, citizen band radios, cordless telephones, etc. (an import permit is required)
- Meat and poultry; many other animal products; check with agent
- Plants and plant produce including trees and shrubs, potatoes and certain other vegetables, fruit, bulbs and seeds
- Animals and birds, whether alive or dead (egg. stuffed), parts and articles derived from protected species, including furs, skins, ivory, reptile leather and goods made from them
The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.