Mexique / Méjico / México / Mexiko

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Mexico

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Mexico:

    • Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
    • Letter to Customs
    • Contact details
    • Declaration of value
    • Original legalized moving inventory in Spanish (Mexican citizens / permanent resident visa holders)
    • Express bill of lading (SWB) / air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Mexico for you.
    • Proof of ownership, if applicable (for antiques and artefacts)
    • Permanent resident visa, if applicable (returning citizens)
    • Temporary resident visa, if applicable
    • Copy of RFC / CURP number (returning citizens)
    • Copy of INE/IFE card (both sides)
    • Full moving inventory list (returning citizens / temporary resident visa holders)
    • List of electronics (returning citizens / permanent resident visa holders / temporary resident visa holders)
    • Letter of guarantee from employer ( temporary resident visa holders)
    • Solidarity and compromise Letter (temporary resident)
    • Import permit (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Diplomatic carnet (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Diplomatic franchise from the General Customs Authority (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Mexico. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Mexican Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Additional Removal Advice

    • The original legalized moving inventory must be in Spanish, stamped by the Mexican Consulate in the country of origin and the owner of the goods must have lived abroad for a minimum of 6 months.
    • Only required for Mexican citizens and permanent resident visa holders.
    • Letter to Customs, signed, and stating that items in the shipment are used.
    • The contact details of the owner of the goods must include destination address.
    • The list of electronic items must include serial number, model, and make.
    • Mexican Customs require a shipment to be imported within the first 6 months the visa was issued, after this time it will not be imported.
    • New items (less than 6 months) are not considered to be used and must be imported separately from the used household goods items.
    • New goods will be subject to taxes and duties at Customs.
    • The letter to Customs must specify new items with proof of purchase to pay the corresponding duties of 20% plus IVA 16%.
    • The letter of guarantee must state that the company is responsible for duties and taxes should the shipment not be re-exported when the employee leaves the country (temporary resident visa holders).
    • Antiques, artifacts, carpets and paintings may be imported in reasonable quantities and should be declared on the removal packing list.
    • Returning Mexican citizens and permanent resident visa holders must show proof of having lived abroad for a minimum of 6 months to import household goods and personal effects duty free.
    • All articles must be included in the Consularized Moving inventory by the Mexican Consulate.
    • Any item not included in the moving inventory, can be expropriated by Mexican Government.
    • It is not recommended to ship the household goods until all documentation is completed and in order.
    • The airports allow only 30 days to release or return the shipment from the time of its arrival.
    • All other ports hold the shipment until 60 calendar days.
    • If the documentation is not presented by that time the shipment is declared as “abandoned” and it is confiscated by Mexican Government.

    Popular Destinations in Mexico

    Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Mexico:

    Mexico City, Ecatepec, Guadalajara, Puebla, Juárez, Tijuana, León, Zapopan, Monterrey. Get a quote to one of these places


    Need Help?

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to Mexico, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Mexico, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Mexico:

    • Copy of original temporary resident visa / card
    • Purchase invoice
    • Vehicle title
    • Owner of the goods’ personal identification
    • Letter of authorization
    • Diplomatic franchise from Embassy (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Express bill of lading
    • Copy of driver’s license
    GMS Border Graphic

    Relocating Your Pets to Mexico

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Mexico:

    • Veterinary health certificate
    • Sanitary original bill of lading
    • Copy of the owner of the goods’ passport
    • Vaccination record

    Additional Import Advice

    • If the value of the animal exceeds USD 5,000, authorization from the Secretary of Commerce and Industrial Promotion is required.
    • Make sure all documents are with Customs before shipment arrives.
    • Do not send pets over the weekend.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to Mexico. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Mexico:

    • Toilet paper
    • Tissue paper
    • Blank white paper
    • Diapers
    GMS Border Graphic

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to Mexico:

    • Beverages including but not limited to wine, beer, spirits, etc.
    • Medicine or drugs
    • Collectable items such as pens, coins, etc.
    • Blank CDs, DVDs or tapes
    • Large quantities of similar objects because they could be considered items for sale in Mexico
    • Pornographic items
    • Cars, boats, and/or motorcycles (unless the client is a diplomat)
    • Weapons and ammunition
    • Detergents, soaps or similar objects
    • Food items including but not limited to spices, tinned products, canned goods, etc.

    The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:

    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.