A Guide to Relocating to Portugal
Want to move to Lisbon? Considering moving to Porto? Or thinking about an international removal to Madeira. Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Portugal…
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Portugal
Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Portugal:
- Original Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods), stating place of residence abroad (and 1 certified copy)
- “Certificado de Bagagem” issued by the Portuguese Consulate at origin
- Detailed moving inventory in Portuguese
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Portugal for you.
- Residence Certificate (Atestado de Residencia)
- Photocopy of air ticket or declaration (must include details, date of arrival, etc.)
- Photocopy of work contract (if applicable)
- Proof of application for Residence Permit
- Copy of Identity Card (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Declaration as per EU regulations
- Copy of Visa
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Portugal. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Portuguese Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- The Certificado de Bagagem must state that all the items are used and have been in the client`s possession for more than 6 months (do not show values).
- Residence Certificate (Atestado de Residencia) can be obtained by the transferee and issued by the Junta de Freguesia in which transferee’s residence in Portugal is situated; it must state that he/she has been residing there for less than 1 year and include the exact date of arrival in Portugal, if possible.
- If shipper is not a citizen of the origin country, proof of residency for a period of at least 12 months is required (photocopy of Identity Card, certificate issued by the Portuguese Consulate or Employment Contract from the origin country, etc.).
- Portuguese nationals are not required to provide proof of application for a Residence Permit.
- Transferees must be present for Customs clearance and must provide an exact date of arrival in Portugal.
- Although normal goods are duty free, Custom´s broker fees are generally required and are based ad valorem.
- Port handling charges and warehouse fees may be included in Custom’s broker fees but can be expensive; estimates should be requested from agent prior to import.
Everything you need to help you plan your move.
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in Portugal
Global Moving Services is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Portugal:
www.expatarrivals.com – Everything you need to know about moving to Portugal.
If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 121 392 1720, or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to Portugal, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 121 392 1720.
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Portugal, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Portugal:
- Registration Certificate
- Insurance documents
- Any documents related to the details of the motor vehicle (Purchase Invoice, inspection records, etc.)
- International Driver’s License
- Import License
Additional Import Advice
- Duty-free entry for temporary import period of 6 months, during which definitive importation of the car must occur.
- If no definitive importation is performed, the motor vehicle must leave the country before a period of 6 months.
- Boats are subject to the payment of duties.
- Costs of duties and taxes depend on value of the motor vehicle in Portugal.
Relocating Your Pets to Portugal
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Portugal:
- Veterinary Health Certificate
- Vaccination Certificate (must include rabies vaccination information)
Additional Import Advice
- Pets must be identifiable (tattoo or an electronic identification system) and vaccinated against rabies.
Think very carefully before moving these items to Portugal. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Portugal:
- Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items
- Think very carefully before moving these items to Portugal. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Portugal:
- Pornographic objects
- Powdered milk for babies, food for children and special medical food (including pet food) may be allowed if not requiring refrigeration and with original, unbroken seal (unless in use at the time), Quantity must not exceed the weight of 10 kg originating from Croatia, Faroe Islands, Greenland and Iceland, and of 2 kg if originating in other countries
- Fish if it is disemboweled (cannot exceed 20 kg)
- Coats, fur and leather shoes made of protected animals (special authorization required)
- Systems for copying mail stamping systems
- Firearms, cut and thrust weapons, and any instrument without specific application
- Medicines and foodstuffs harmful to national health and drugs
- Essences for regional wine counterfeit
Do not move any of these items to Portugal:
- Protected species and products thereof as listed by the Washington Convention (CITES). For example, ivory, tortoise shells, coral, reptile skins, and wood from Amazonian forests.
- Meat and milk, and any by-products thereof, from non-EU countries with the exception of limited amounts from Andorra, Croatia, the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland and small amounts of specific products from other countries; check with agent for details.
- The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.