A Guide to Relocating to Qatar
Want to move to Doha? Considering moving to Al Rayyan? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to Qatar…
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Qatar
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Qatar:
- Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods) / visa / residence permit visa with page of entry stamp
- Removal packing list (in English) – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
- Copy of bill of lading (OBL) / express release or telex release / air waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Qatar for you.
- Letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Original authorization letter in Arabic
- Letter of employment (NOC)
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Qatar. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Qatari Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- The owner of the goods must be in Qatar during Customs clearance.
- The residence visa must be obtained prior to arrival of the shipment.
- Documents must be received by agent at least 5 days prior to arrival of the shipment.
- Customs will inspect all packages.
- Customs clearance takes approximately 3 – 4 business days from the date of receipt of the original Documentation Required for the Move for clearance.
- Storage or demurrage charges will be billed back to the owner of the goods or agent per the receipt.
- All sea shipments that arrive at the Doha port after 6 months from the first entry date of the consignee will have a 5% customs duty levied.
- The Customs duty is 5% of the estimated value of goods determined by the Customs Valuation Committee plus the legalization charges of approximately USD $175.00.
- All prohibited articles detained by Customs may be destroyed without consignee’s consent.
- All printed matter, records, films, books, pictures, tapes, slides, movies, videos, compact discs, computer software, etc. are subject to censorship and confiscation (must be packed separately for easy access) if caught with any of these items, customer will be subject to severe penalties and a possible jail term.
- Travel bags and packages must remain unlocked.
Everything you need to help you plan your move.
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in Qatar
Global Moving Services is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Qatar:
Doha, Al Rayyan. Get a quote to one of these places
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to Qatar, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 121 392 1720.
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Qatar, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Qatar:
- Original import manifest
- Registration certificate
- Purchase / sales invoice
- Original bill of lading / air waybill
- Insurance policy
- Proof of ownership at origin
Additional Import Advice
- Vehicles must be Gulf standard and left-hand drive.
- Automobiles should not be more than 5 years old.
- The owner of the vehicle must be a resident in Qatar prior to registration of the vehicle.
- A 5% Customs duty is charged on the value of the vehicle identified on the price on the purchase / sales invoice or its depreciated value and is determined at the discretion of the Customs Officer in charge.
Relocating Your Pets to Qatar
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Qatar:
- Veterinary health certificate
- Vaccination record
Additional Import Advice
- The veterinary health certificate must be issued by a government approved veterinarian clinic in the origin country and must confirm that the animal is in good health with current vaccinations.
- The certificate must be dated within 2 weeks prior to the animal’s arrival in Qatar.
Think very carefully before moving these items to Qatar. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Qatar:
- Cigarettes (free import up to 400)
- Personal items and gifts (free import up to QAR 3,000.-.)
- Firearms (special permission from the Ministry of Defense in Qatar is required)
Do not move any of these items to Qatar:
- Pork products
- Pornographic materials
- Politically subversive materials
- Explosives and explosive items, including fireworks and other flammable items
- Narcotic drugs
- The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.