To make navigation of this page easier for you, we have added the below clickable menu and return buttons throughout.
MOVING TO SOUTH KOREA
Corée du Sud / Corea del Sur / Coreia do Sul / Südkorea / Sydkorea
A Guide to Relocating to South Korea
Want to move to Seoul? Considering moving to Busan? Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to South Korea…
Everything you need to help you plan your international move to South Korea.
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To South Korea
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to South Korea:
- Copy of Passport (identification and entry stamp) from shipper and accompanying family members
- Work Visa, valid for at least 1 year
- Detailed moving inventory – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
- Original Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to South Korea for you.
- Certificate of Alien Registration / Residence Card (from Korean Immigration Office)
- Application for Duty Exemption issued by Foreign Affairs Ministry of Korea (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Certificate of Entry and Departure (returning Koreans)
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to South Korea. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at South Korean Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- Goods must arrive at port of entry / airport of entry (POE / AOE) in Korea within 6 months of the owner’s arrival.
- Clearance should take place at a bonded warehouse.
- Personal effects cannot be Customs cleared prior to the shipper’s arrival.
- All incoming shipments, excluding diplomatic shipments, are subject to open inspection by the Korean Customs Authority.
- Evidence of at least 1 year abroad must be shown in Passport (returning Koreans)
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in South Korea
Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in South Korea:
Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daegu, Daejeon, Gwangju, Ulsan, Suwon, Changwon, Seongnam. Get a quote to one of these places
If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to South Korea, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to South Korea, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to South Korea:
- Original Title
- Original Registration Certificate
- Original Purchase Receipt or Invoice
- Detailed moving inventory (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Original insurance documents
- Insurance Declarations Page or policy information (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Customs Duty Exemption showing frame number or chassis number, engine number, model and type (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Proof of ownership (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
Additional Import Advice
- Vehicle must be listed on the moving inventory with full technical specifications (make, model, plate number, etc.)
- In order to register and to drive in South Korea, the vehicle must pass the following Government tests:
- Emission Gas Level Test
- Noise and Vibration Test
- Type and Model Approval
- Documentary clearance does not require a physical inspection.
- Vehicles cannot be sold or transferred by a Diplomat to a non-diplomatic individual for 3 years; however sale or transfer between diplomatic individuals is authorized.
- If a vehicle is sold or transferred to a non-diplomatic individual by a Diplomat within 3 years of vehicle importation, duties and taxes shall be charged by Korean Customs.
- The vehicle must be identified on the detailed moving inventory.
Relocating Your Pets to South Korea
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to South Korea
- Valid Health Certificate
- Proof of identification
- Vaccination Record (must include rabies vaccination)
Additional Import Advice
- Animals will be quarantined upon arrival to South Korea; currently, there is a 10-day quarantine required.
- Animals should have vaccinations at least 30 days prior to import.
- If rabies vaccinations are not older than 30 days, pets must remain in quarantine the 10-days plus the number of days to total 30 full days since the rabies vaccination.
Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items
Think very carefully before moving these items to South Korea. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to South Korea:
- The following household goods may be imported duty free by persons 19 years and older within the limits indicated:
- Alcohol (1 L)
- Cigarettes (200), cigars (50), tobacco (250 g)
- Perfume (2 oz.)
- Personal items (gifts, new items, etc. up to $400)
- Firearms, ammunition, and explosive materials, including fireworks (permission from the Korean authorities is required)
- Narcotic and psychotropic drugs
- Plants and plant byproducts (subject to quarantine and approval by the authorities; denial of entry is possible)
Do not move any of these items to South Korea:
- Illegal drugs
- Counterfeit goods or materials
- Subversive and treasonous materials
- Pornographic material
The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.