Suède / Suecia / Suécia / Schweden / Sverige

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To Sweden

    Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to Sweden:

    • Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
    • Swedish Customs Form Foersaekran
    • Detailed moving inventory in English or Swedish – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
    • Ocean Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to Sweden for you.
    • Letter of Employment / Lease Agreement, etc. showing employment or time abroad for at least 1 year (from origin country)
    • Residence Permit (foreigners)
    • Diplomatic Franchise (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Letter of Employment / Lease Agreement, etc. showing employment and residence in Sweden for at least 1 year

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to Sweden. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Swedish Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Additional Removal Advice

    • Household goods, including but not limited to, furniture and personal effects must be used for at least 6 months prior to import.
    • Shipments must arrive within 1 year after the owner’s arrival (foreigners).
    • For returning citizens, the consignment must arrive in connection with their own return (see Customs form to determine immigrant and returning person status).
    • The shipper must be in Sweden upon Customs clearance but is not required to be present during the clearance process.
    • Household goods and personal effects must not be brought into Sweden for commercial use or for the use of other persons.
    • The detailed moving inventory must be descriptive, stating contents of each item and carton and cannot include expressions such as “miscellaneous,” “garage items,” “PBO” (packed by owner),” etc.
    • A physical inspection of the shipment is generally not required for Customs clearance, but Customs may request that one be completed.
    • A Customs exemption is granted for goods other than alcohol for persons immigrating or returning to Sweden after more than 1 year outside the European Union (EU), and must have had a permanent residence in Sweden for at least 1 year.
    • All wooden material used for crates, liftvans, bulk heads, etc. to all EU countries must be made of treated wood per the International Standard for Phytosanitary Measures No. 15 (ISPM15) and with certified stamp. This does not apply for manufactured furniture.

    Popular Destinations in Sweden

    Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in Sweden:

    Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö, Uppsala, Västerås, Örebro, Linköping, Helsingborg, Jönköping, Norrköping, Lund, Umeå, Gävle, Solna, Växjö, Södertälje, Borås, Karlstad. Get a quote to one of these places


    Need Help?

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to Sweden, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to Sweden, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to Sweden:

    • Original Sales Invoice (must include price, date, and place of purchase)
    • OBL
    • Title / Registration

    Additional Import Advice

    • The shipper must be present for Customs clearance.
    • The vehicle must be used and owned by the shipper for at least 1 year prior to import.
    • Only one vehicle per person can be imported.
    • Vehicles not included as part of the household goods shipments are subject to Customs fees, duties and value added tax (VAT).
    • Customs clearance takes approximately 1-2 days.
    • Vehicles may not be sold within one year of import.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Relocating Your Pets to Sweden

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to Sweden

    • Veterinary Health Certificate
    • Vaccination Record

    Additional Import Advice

    • Permission from the Agriculture Department is required.
    • All animals are subject to quarantine regulations.
    • The quarantine period takes approximately 4 months.
    • The owner must be present for Customs clearance.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to Sweden. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to Sweden:

    • Medicines (a doctor’s prescription is required and must be for personal use only; only a 5-day supply is permitted)
    • New furniture (a sales invoice with prices, date and place of purchase as well as a removal packing list is required)
    • Plants, fruit and vegetables (a Plant Passport / Phytosanitary Certificate issued by the Plant Protection Service may be required; contact the destination agent for specific information)
    • Products and goods made from animals (special permission is required)
    • Alcohol and Tobacco
    • Must be declared and are subject to tax and duty
    • Subject to destruction at Customs discretion (charges will still apply)
    • Importation may be expensive
    • Customs clearance takes approximately 3 weeks
    • Contact the destination agent for details
    GMS Border Graphic

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to Sweden:

    • Narcotics and illegal drugs

    The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:

    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.