To make navigation of this page easier for you, we have added the below clickable menu and return buttons throughout.
MOVING TO THE NETHERLANDS
Les Pays-Bas / Países Bajos / A Holanda / Die Niederlande / Nederländerna
A Guide to Relocating to The Netherlands
Want to move to Amsterdam? Considering moving to Rotterdam? Or thinking about an international removal to The Hague. Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to The Netherlands…
Everything you need to help you plan your international move to The Netherlands.
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To The Netherlands
Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to the Netherlands:
- Copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
- Letter of employment
- Work permit
- Detailed moving inventory (2 copies) – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
- Bewijs van aanmelding
- Aangifte – Douane 39 form (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
- Completed Netherlands application
- Lease / purchase contract (new and previous residences)
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to the Netherlands. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at Dutch Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- The “Bewijs van aanmelding” is the certificate from the population register of the municipality showing owner of the goods’ intent to reside in the Netherlands
- The Netherlands application is a required form that must be filled out to be able to move to the Netherlands
- All fumigated containers arriving in the port of Rotterdam or Antwerp with an excessive concentration of gas will be removed from the logistic transport chain.
- Delays may take several months before the container is released.
- High costs may be incurred due to any delays.
- The following conditions must apply for the duty-free import of the household effects shipment:
- The permanent residence of the owner of the goods must be the Netherlands or another European Union member country.
- The previous permanent residence of the owner of the goods situated outside of the European Union for at least 12 months.
- All goods have been used as part of the normal household of the owner of the goods and will be used for the same purpose.
- All goods have been in the owner of the goods’ possession for at least 6 months and have been used during that time.
- The goods will be imported into the Netherlands within 12 months after registration.
- The goods will not be sold, rented off or given away within 12 months after registration in the Netherlands.
- Owners of the goods must apply to Customs for the exemption in the import declaration.
- The following documents are required:
- A signed moving inventory listing all of the personal goods in the shipment.
- The certificate of registration in the personal records database of the municipality in the Netherlands.
- Must certify that the date on which the owner of the goods has established in the Netherlands or another country within the European Union.
- Owner of the goods can also send comparable documentary evidence demonstrating that this is the case.
- Employment contract
- Employer statement
- Work permit
- Rental contract or mortgage certificate for new place of residence
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in The Netherlands
Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in the Netherlands:
Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht, Eindhoven, Tilburg, Groningen, Almere, Breda, Nijmegen, Enschede, Apeldoorn, Haarlem, Amersfoort, Azznstad, Arnheim, Maastricht, Leiden, Dordrecht, Delft. Get a quote to one of these places
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to The Netherlands, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to The Netherlands, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to The Netherlands:
- Certificate of title / registration
- Original bill of lading
- Purchase invoice or other proof of ownership
Additional Import Advice
- Consideration for an application for free entry of motor vehicles is 4 to 6 weeks
- A separate application for any tax exemption must be completed if not imported with the household effects shipment.
- A technical inspection as well as registration is required at the RDW after Customs clearance.
Relocating Your Pets to The Netherlands
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to The Netherlands
- Veterinary health certificate
- Vaccination record
Additional Import Advice
- The veterinary health certificate must be signed by an authorized veterinarian within 8 days of import.
- The vaccination record must be signed at least 31 days prior to departure but not longer than 12 months prior to import.
Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items
Think very carefully before moving these items to The Netherlands. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to The Netherlands:
- Hunting and shooting firearms require a permit issued by the Dutch authorities
The following restrictions apply to the import of these items:
Only persons 17 years or older may import these items.
Alcohol / Cigarettes / Tobacco:
- The items cannot be contained as part of the household effects shipment and must be imported as travel baggage.
- Spirits (1 L), sparkling wine (2 L), liquor wines like sherry, and port (2 L) or a proportional mix of these items
- Non-sparkling wines (4 L) and beer (16 L)
- Cigarettes (200), tobacco (250 g), cigarillos (100), cigars (50)
- To import medicines, a manufacturing license issued by the Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport is required.
- Medications must be for personal use.
- Owners of the goods should request a medical passport from a general practitioner to verify the personal use of the medication.
Plants / flowers / fruits / vegetables:
- These items require a phytosanitary certificate from the country of origin declaring the items healthy and free from diseases.
- If a phytosanitary certificate is unavailable, Customs will confiscate the items.
Animal Products / Food Items:
- A health certificate is required for the import of these items, including but not limited to, cheese, milk, eggs, meat, meat products, animal skins, and hunting trophies.
- The health certificate must be issued by the authorities of the origin country at the time the goods are imported.
- All animal products and food items are subject to veterinary examination upon arrival.
- Goods of animal origin, including food items, are subject to special requirements.
- Contact the destination for specific information and exceptions.
- Powdered milk, baby food, and special food items for medical purposed may be imported provided the following requirements are met:
- The products do not need to be chilled prior to consumption.
- The products are packaged products of a registered trademark.
- The packaging should be unopened and undamaged.
- An exemption from the required health certificate applies to products in which an animal ingredient is no longer identifiable (e.g., chocolate, etc.).
- Contact the Dutch Embassy in the origin country if you need assistance.
Do not move any of these items to The Netherlands:
- Weapons (toy and imitation) and ammunition (strike, thrust or stabbing weapons; gas pistols, alarm pistols, pepper sprays, etc.)
The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.