Les Etats-Unis d'Amérique / Los Estados Unidos de América / Os Estados Unidos da América / Die Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika / Förenta staterna

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To The United States of America

    • Copy of Passport (some ports require Passports for all family members listed on the 3299)
    • Form CF-3299 – Declaration for Free Entry of Unaccompanied Articles, if applicable
    • Copy of Visa (if non-US citizen / permanent resident) / copy of Permanent Resident Card
    • A-1 Visa (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Form DS-1504 (applicable only to diplomatic relocations / diplomats moving)
    • Form CF-6059B – Customs Declaration
    • Copy of Bill of Lading (OBL) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to the USA for you.
    • Detailed moving inventory in English – We will complete this if you want us to undertake a full packing service for your removal
    • Food Questionnaire
    • CBP Form 7501 -Customs Entry Summary
    • Importers Security Filing (ISF)
    • I-94 Stamp / Card

    We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to The United States of America. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at American Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.

    Additional Removal Advice

    • All shipments are subject to examination at the discretion of Customs officials.
    • Do not indicate “packed by owner” (PBO) or miscellaneous descriptions on the detailed moving inventory.
    • The I-94 is an arrival stamp / card in the Passport of all foreigners that indicates the length of time they have been admitted into the USA (some ports require a copy of the card).
    • All foreign Diplomats (A-1 Visa types) are required to be processed via the Department ofStateon a DS-1504 form, which is submitted to the Department ofStateby the Consulate / Embassy of the Diplomat at least 10 days prior to arrival of the shipment.
    • Brokers are not allowed to clear Customs on CF-3299 entries for foreign Diplomats holding an A-1 Visa.
    • For duty-free clearance, the household goods must have been used at least 1 year in the foreign household prior to shipment from the origin country.
    • The importer must hold the proper long-term Visa (non-B1 / B2 Visitor’s Visa) to import household goods duty free. The importer can only import personal effects, e.g., clothing, camping gear, toiletries, etc. on a short-term Visitor’s Visa.
    • It is important for agents in the origin country to make sure the ISF is timely filed prior to the sailing of the vessel from the last foreign port for all ocean shipments to avoid penalties.
    • Customs and other government agencies can require a variety of different types of examinations that result in costs from USD 200-1700 or more on a full container load (FCL) shipment.
    • Most household items used less than 1 year will require duty to be paid. It is important for the importer to list those items in detail on the back side of the Customs Form 3299. The importer should list the item, quantity, what material it is made out of, the value paid for the items in US dollars and the country of origin of the items.
    • To import household effects (furniture, dishes, linens, libraries, artwork and similar household furnishings, etc.) for personal use, the items must have been available for personal use or used in a household where the shipper was a resident for 1 year and is not intended for another person or for sale. The year of use does not need to be continuous not does it need to be the year immediately prior to the date of importation (Hawaii).
    • Shipments from the 49 United States into Hawaii are not subject to U.S. Customs requirements, but shipments from foreign countries to Hawaii are subject to all of the same rules and regulations that apply to the rest of the United States.
    • Only shipments of used household goods and personal effects may enter the U.S. under Informal Entry.
    • For shipments to Hawaii containing garden tools, outdoor furniture, playground equipment, motorcycles, scooters or any other items used outdoors, it is likely to be examined by U.S. Customs. If Customs finds outdoor items to be dirty or contain insects or snails, they will notify the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture. The State may require the entire shipment to be cleaned, fumigated or frozen to clean potential bacteria or kill any invasive species. Shippers should be forewarned that they are responsible to pay for the expense of this process, it can be very costly and it may result in damage to household goods. Informed decisions should be made regarding the import of items.
    • U.S. Customs may also order intensive exams on any shipments containing food products, medications or liquor. The shipper is responsible to pay for the exams and any damage incurred during inspections by Customs officials.

    Note: The import regulations for the 48 contiguous United States and Alaska are included herein. Significant distinct requirements for the import of household goods shipments into Hawaii exist; therefore, a separate relocation guide has been included on the website.As the 50th state in the United States, shipments from the other 49 states in the United States are not subject to U. S. Customs. Shipments to Hawaii from foreign countries are subject to all the same rules and regulations that apply to the rest of the United States. Only shipments of used household goods and personal effects may enter the U.S. under Informal Entry.

    Antiques, Artefacts, Carpets, Paintings

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to The United States of America:

    • Detailed moving inventory
    • Purchase Invoice

    Additional Removal Advice

    • U.S. Customs requires items to be at least 100 years old be classified as antiques.
    • A recently purchased antique should indicate the circa date on the invoice.
    • Antiques are duty free.
    • Carpets of Iranian origin that have been used in the foreign household for at least 1 year and being imported with the owner’s household goods and personal effects are generally approved for import. It is recommended that if you have a large number of carpets or they are new that you do not ship as the USA currently has an embargo on Iranian origin goods, subject to change at any time.
    • Paintings of nominal value can be shipped with household goods shipments.
    • Artifacts of any type should not be shipped without first checking with the USA agent and the country of export, as different regulations may apply depending on the country of origin, type of artifact and circa date. Additionally, many countries are parties to CITES Treaties or Acts that don’t allow the import or export of certain types of artifacts or require permits that must be issued prior to export.

    Popular Destinations in The United States of America

    Global Moving Services is vastly experienced in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in The United States of America:

    New York (New York), Los Angeles (California), Chicago (Illinois), Houston (Texas), Philadelphia (Pennsylvania), Phoenix (Arizona), San Antonio (Texas), San Diego (California), Dallas (Texas), San Jose (California), Austin (Texas), San Francisco (California), Columbus (Ohio), Charlotte (North Carolina), Seattle (Washington), Washington (District of Columbia), Denver (Colorado), Boston (Massachusetts), Long Beach (California), Atlanta (Georgia), Miami (Florida). Get a quote to one of these places


    Need Help?

    If you are unsure about what you need, one of our international move managers is always willing to help. Just call us on +44 20 7097 5335 , or fill out an international removal enquiry, and we’ll ease you through the process.

    Moving Your Money

    If you’re moving to The United States of America, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with Global Reach who specialise in doing just this. Global Reach will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more click here or give us a call: +44 20 7097 5335 .

    Get Insurance

    We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.

    If you have already contracted us for your international removal to The United States of America, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.

    GMS Border Graphic

    Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle

    Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to The United States of America:

    • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form EPA-3520-21, if applicable
    • OBL (foreign purchased vehicles)
    • Bill of Sale / Pro-forma Invoice with Statement of Value (foreign purchased vehicles)
    • Title of ownership translated into English (foreign purchased vehicles)
    • Department of Transportation (DOT) Form HS-7
    • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Form 3520-1 (foreign purchased vehicles)
    • Proof of conformity by either:
      • U.S. Title / Registration
      • Letter of Conformity from the manufacturer
      • Foreign military sales contract that indicates vehicle meets USA-EPA / DOT regulations
      • Exemption as a 25-model year old vehicle as proven by the title
    • Copy of U.S. Title or Registration when previously registered in the USA (vehicles previously owned and shipped from the U.S. by the returning importer)
    • Completed EPA-3520-1, DOT, HS-7 and Customs 7501 forms (vehicles previously owned and shipped from the U.S. by the returning importer)
    • Letter of Permission from the EPA (non-residents importing vehicles as a tourist)

    Additional Import Advice

    • For vehicles previously owned and shipped from the U.S. by the returning importer, the ownership names must match with the consignee of the shipment on the vehicle Title and Registration.
    • A non-U.S. resident can import a vehicle for a period of up to 1 year as a tourist, but no extension will be allowed. The importer is required to obtain a permission letter prior to shipping the vehicle from the EPA.
      Vehicles imported by non-residents for tourism may not sell or offer for vehicle for sale and it must be exported prior to the 1-year period or is subject to seizure and penalties by Customs.
    • Some ports of entry (POE) require a bond for up to three times the value of the vehicle to ensure the timely export of the vehicle. Additional port specific declarations may be required for this temporary importation
    • A Bill of Sale or Pro-forma Invoice with the statement of value must include the vehicle’s description, vehicle identification number (VIN), model and year of manufacture.
    • In general vehicles that are 25 model years old and with the original drive train are exempt from EPA / DOT regulations.
    • Vehicles less than 25 model years old that were not previously titled in the U.S must comply with EPA / DOT regulations.
    • The cost and time to bring a vehicle into compliance by an ICI (certified conversion shop) make the process an unwise economic decision in most cases.
    • It is strongly recommended not to import non-complying vehicles. In the event an importer elects to attempt to import a vehicle it should be sent separately from household goods and personal effects shipments to avoid delays in the receipt of the shipment.
    • The importer must make arrangements with an ICI shop in the USA prior to shipping the vehicle in order to get an estimate and to determine if the vehicle can be brought into compliance.
    • Marine engines and gas-powered generators are also subject to EPA requirements
      and Form EPA-3520-21 is normally required for those items.
    • It is important to know that any imported vehicle, new or used, must comply with U.S. safety, fuel savings, and air pollution control standards. If an imported vehicle does not conform to these standards, it must be brought into conformity; otherwise it must be destroyed or exported.
    • The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the undercarriage of imported cars be free from foreign soil before they can be entered into the United States. This may be done by steam spray or by thorough cleaning before shipment.
    • Do not store personal items in any motor vehicle.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Relocating Your Pets to The United States of America

    These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to The United States of America:

    • Veterinary Health Certificate
    • Rabies Vaccination Record

    Additional Import Advice

    • The importation of pets is subject to health, quarantine, agriculture or wildlife requirements and prohibitions.
    • Pets are subject to examination at the first port of arrival for any evidence of disease.
    • A valid Rabies (rage) Vaccination Record must accompany dogs arriving from areas not free from rabies.
    • There is no requirement for a rabies certificate for domestic cats.
    • Contact the destination agent to determine if special certificates and admission requirements apply, providing the common and scientific name of the animal along with the country of origin that it is being shipped to ensure all appropriate government agencies can be contacted.
    • Most turtles and monkeys are not allowed entry into the U.S.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Restricted & Dutiable/Taxable Items

    Think very carefully before moving these items to The United States of America. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to The United States of America:

    • Plants and seeds (an Import Permit and Plant and Plant Product Declaration Form are required)
    • Soil (an Import Permit is required)
    • Meats and meat byproducts (e.g., bouillon soups)
    • Medications
    • Fruits and vegetables
    • Game and hunting trophies
    • Gold
    • Merchandise from embargoed countries (a license from the Office of Foreign Assets Control is required)
    • Certain animal species (contact the destination agent for information)
    • Textiles and clothing
    • Plants and seeds (an Import Permit and a PPQ Form 505 – Plant and Plant Product Declaration are required) (Hawaii)
    • Biological materials of public health or veterinary importance (an Import Permit is required) (Hawaii)
    • Wood packing materials (materials from China must be fumigated, verified by documentation) (Hawaii)
    • Alcohol
      • The importation of alcohol is governed by both Federal andstate laws. In general the Federal Government allows a reasonable amount of alcohol to be imported in a household goods shipment. If Customs feels the amount is excessive they will require the importer to hire a licensed alcohol importer to file a commercial entry.
      • Domestic importers should comply with the residencestate laws which vary fromstate to state. Somestatesallow no alcohol imports while others require the importer to obtain a permit and pay a fee and still others allow a reasonable amount. Eachstatehas regulations and must be consulted before making a shipment.
      • A detailed moving inventory must be made at the time of packing in order for food and drug filings to be performed and proper duties and taxes to be paid on the shipment.
      • For imports into Hawaii as part of the household goods shipment, the shipper is required to apply for a Liquor Permit with the City and County of Honolulu Liquor Commission on Oahu. The importer must appear in person to apply for the permit and provide the permit for the liquor to clear U.S. Customs.
    • A Permit C – Household Goods Permit form is required for the import of alcohol (Hawaii).
    • Inherited Goods (Imports to Hawaii)
    • Inherited goods can be imported duty free if the following conditions are met:
      • The items are over 100 years old and can be proven through documentation.
      • Were available for use in the shipper’s place of residence for 1 year prior to entry into the United States. It does not have to be the year prior to the inheritance (e.g., the items were in the shipper’s parent’s house during the shipper’s childhood).
    • Food Items
      • The importation of food items is strongly discouraged.
      • Food products also require a detailed moving inventory for food and drug filings and duty payment.
      • A Food Questionnaire form must be completed if importing food items (Hawaii).
    • Fish / Wildlife
    • Ivory items, skins, feathers and shells are regulated by Fish and Wildlife.
    • Many of these items require special CITES Permits or may be prohibited from being imported.
    • It is critical for the origin agent to consult with the U.S. agent to determine if an item requires a permit or can be legally imported. The permits cannot be issued once the shipment has left the origin country.
    • The destination agent will need to know the common, scientific names and country of origin to determine if a permit is required.
    • Weapons
      • Guns (ammunition should not be shipped as it is a hazardous good) previously owned and shipped from the U.S. can normally be imported if military, government personnel can establish to the satisfaction of Customs that the items were sent from the U.S..
      • The best method is for the owner to register the weapons with Customs prior to export from the U.S. If the importer does not have a registration then a copy of sales receipts, the export OBL, moving inventory and a Declaration will sometimes satisfy Customs.
      • Weapons purchased overseas are normally required to be imported using a Federal Firearms permit holder but some exceptions do apply to allow non-resident individuals to apply for a permit directly with Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF).
      • The ATF Permit filing should be applied for at least 6 weeks in advance of the arrival of the shipment. The application requires that the Customs broker who will handle the entry be named on the ATF application, so it is important that the application is filed properly
        from the start to avoid delays on arrival.
      • The importer should consult with the U.S. agent when considering shipping any weapons and provide all the facts regarding how and where the weapons were acquired. It should be noted that not all types of weapons can be imported.
    GMS Border Graphic

    Prohibited/Banned Items

    Do not move any of these items to The United States of America:

    • Tuna
    • Drug paraphernalia
    • Haitian animal hide drums
    • Blank tapes and CDs from Iran
    • Absinthe
    • Counterfeit items or items inappropriately using a federally registered trademark
    • Flavored cigarettes, including cloves
    • Cuban cigars
    • Products made from dog and cat fur

    The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:

    • Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
    • Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
    • Airbags
    • Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
    • Ammunition of any kind
    • Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
    • Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
    • Biological Samples
    • Car Batteries
    • Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
    • Chainsaws
    • Cheques (Bank)
    • Christmas Crackers
    • Counterfeit Currency
    • Dangerous Goods
    • Driving Licence
    • Drugs (Including Prescription)
    • Engines
    • Excrement / Filth
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Fish (Dead or Live)
    • Foodstuffs (all kinds)
    • Hazardous Goods
    • Human Remains (including ashes)
    • Infectious Substances
    • Knives
    • Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
    • Lighters
    • Lottery Tickets
    • Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
    • Oils
    • Paints
    • Passports
    • Perishable Goods (All)
    • Plants / Seeds etc
    • Printer Toner
    • Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
    • Stamps
    • Tobacco
    • Water
    • Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
    • Windscreens

    Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.