A Guide to Relocating to the United Kingdom
Want to move to London? Considering moving to England? Or thinking about an international removal to Scotland. Here’s the moving advice you’ll need for any international removal to the United Kingdom…
Important notice for customers moving to the UK
Please be aware that as of the 31st March 2017, everyone moving to the United Kingdom from outside the EU must complete an online Transfer of Residence application using the following link: www.gov.uk TOR
This process will normally take 2-3 weeks and you will receive your own unique code giving you tax relief on entry to the UK. If for any reason you do not have this code in time for your removal, you must pay the tax and duty on all items prior to entry. If after your move you subsequently receive your unique tax code, either due to a late application or a processing delay, then you can easily apply for reimbursement from HRMC.
Moving Household Goods And Personal Effects To the United Kingdom
Please note. That many of these things will not apply to you if you are moving from another EU (European Union) State and/or you are a citizen of the EU (European Union) due to the free movement of goods throughout the EU.
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning an international removal to the United Kingdom:
- Legible copy of Passport (Of the individual moving/importing the goods)
- Detailed moving inventory in English, dated and signed by the shipper
- Copy of Bill of Lading (BL) / Air Waybill (AWB) – We will take care of this if completing the entire international removal to the UK for you.
- As of 31st March 2017, all shipments arriving into the United Kingdom from outside of the European Union must complete their import application online at the following link: Application for Transfer of Residence
- We recommend emailing the application to NCH@HMRC.GSI.GOV.UK
We recommend providing these as soon as possible to reduce delays with your removal to the United Kingdom. Late receipt of documentation can lead to missed shipments, additional charges and penalties at British Customs. For your own protection, we will almost never ship your goods without the above in place.
Additional Removal Advice
- Documents must be received by agent prior to arrival of the shipment.
- The agent may charge fees for incomplete or delayed receipt of documentation.
- Personal belongings or private vehicle can be imported duty free as long as:
- moving your normal place of residence to the UK only
- have had a normal place of residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months
- have possessed and used the belongings for at least 6 months outside the EU before they are imported
- did not get them under a duty/tax free scheme
- declare them
- the belongings will be kept and used for personal use
- do not sell, lend, hire out or otherwise dispose of them in the UK or anywhere else in the EU within 12 months of the date of importation, unless you notify us first and pay duty and VAT on disposal
Everything you need to help you plan your move.
We always recommend speaking directly to the relevant embassy for the most accurate and up to date moving advice:
Popular Destinations in the United Kingdom
Global Moving Services is vastly experience in international removals to cities all over the globe. Their long history and detailed knowledge of different countries makes them the perfect choice for your move. Here are some of the most popular destinations we are asked to move people to in the United Kingdom:
London, Birmingham, Leeds, Glasgow, Sheffield, Manchester, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Bristol, Cardiff, Belfast, Leicester, Coventry, Nottingham, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Brighton, Kingston upon Hill, Plymouth, Stoke, Swansea, Southampton, York, Oxford, Lancaster, Cambridge, Gloucester, Worcester, Chester, Bath. Get a quote to one of these places
Moving Your Money
If you’re moving to the United Kingdom, it’s very likely you’ll have to exchange a large amount of currency. Many people waste thousands doing this through their bank as they think there is no alternative; but we partner with FC Exchange who specialise in doing just this. FC Exchange will offer all Global Moving Services customers preferential rates when exchanging currency and guarantee to beat other rates you’re receiving. Ask one of our move managers about this, to find out more call: +44 121 392 1720
We always advise taking out an insurance policy with us on every move. Although we like to think we’re the best in the industry, the odd accident can occasionally happen. For added peace of mind, make sure to speak to one of our move managers about this.
If you have already contracted us for your international removal to the United Kingdom, then you can download the insurance form and email the completed form back to your international relocation manager.
Moving Your Car Or Motorcycle
Below is a list of the documents you will need when planning to move your vehicle to the United Kingdom:
- Form C104A
- Copy of registration documents proving ownership
- OBL / AWB
- Insurance policy documentation (copies from country of origin proving use)
- Declaration Form C384 (if less than 6 months old)
Additional Import Advice
- Duty-free entry is permitted if the vehicle will not be sold or otherwise disposed of for 1 year after the date of importation
Relocating Your Pets to the United Kingdom
These documents will be required when planning to relocate your pet to the United Kingdom:
- Vaccination Record
- Form C5
- Import License
- Veterinary Health Certificate
Additional Import Advice
- Animals must comply with the Pets Travel Scheme (PETS).
- Pets must be licensed by the Animal Health department.
- Pets are quarantined upon entry into the country.
- Animals must be fitted with a microchip (Scotland).
- Dogs must receive a tapeworm treatment within 105 days of arrival (Scotland).
- Pets that do not qualify to enter Scotland / United Kingdom under the Non-Commercial Movement of Pet Animals are required to obtain an Import License prior to import. Pets will be detained at the owner’s expense at an approved quarantine facility until compliant. Call agent to verify that a facility is available in the country.
- Certain requirements must be met regarding the vaccination against rabies for specific countries. Contact the destination agent for additional information.
Think very carefully before moving these items to the United Kingdom. Items on this list will be taxed and/or require specific permission to import. In all cases they must be declared prior to you relocating to the United Kingdom:
- Firearms, explosives and ammunition
- Imitation firearms
- Offensive weapons
- Live animals
- Endangered animals or plants and products thereof (required a valid CITES Permit)
- Fur skins and articles made from fur skin
- Radio transmitters
- Rough diamonds
- Animal food products
- Fruit, vegetable, and plant products
- Cigarettes (200), cigarillos (100), cigars (50), tobacco (250g)
- Spirits / liqueurs (more than 22% – 1 liter)
- Fortified wine or alcohol less than 22% (2 liters), still wine (4 liters), beer (16 L)
Do not move any of these items to the United Kingdom:
- Illicit drugs
- Offensive weapons
- Curved swords with a blade over 50cm
- Self-defense sprays
- Stun guns
- Counterfeit, pirated and patent-infringing goods
- Meat and milk products
- Knives with concealed blades
- Indecent and obscene material / pornographic material
- The following additional items are prohibited in GMS Baggage/Courier Consignments:
- Aerosols (all kinds, Hairspray, Deodorant etc)
- Aftershaves / Perfumes / Fragrances
- Alcoholic Drinks or Bottles
- Ammunition of any kind
- Animals of any kind (Dead or Alive)
- Any items containing Petrol (Liquid, Gas or Fumes)
- Biological Samples
- Car Batteries
- Cash & Cards (Credit / Debit)
- Cheques (Bank)
- Christmas Crackers
- Counterfeit Currency
- Dangerous Goods
- Driving Licence
- Drugs (Including Prescription)
- Excrement / Filth
- Fire Extinguishers
- Fish (Dead or Live)
- Foodstuffs (all kinds)
- Hazardous Goods
- Human Remains (including ashes)
- Infectious Substances
- Laptop Computers, Mobile/Smart Phones or Tablets
- Lottery Tickets
- Nail Varnish / Nail Varnish Remover
- Perishable Goods (All)
- Plants / Seeds etc
- Printer Toner
- Seatbelt Tensioners and Steering Wheels
- Weapons (all kinds, including replicas)
Disclaimer: Customs regulations can change at any time with or without notice. This information is provided as a guide only. While Global Moving Services has exercised reasonable care in publishing this information, Global Moving Services makes no representation, either expressed or implied, as to its accuracy or applicability.