News & Blog

Your guide to moving your pets overseas

News & Blog

Moving pets overseas

Global Moving Services know that pets are a big part of the family. We are here to help with all your moving overseas requirements including safely transporting your beloved pets to your new home wherever in the world that may be.

Moving to another country with your pets

Moving abroad with pets can be a long process, in some cases taking up to six months with quarantine, so you must plan your pet transport as far in advance as possible. Countries that require pet quarantine are when moving overseas are :

  • Australia
  • New Zealand 
  • Fiji
  • Guam
  • Hawaii
  • Japan
  • Hong Kong
  • Malaysia
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • New Caledonia

GMS Xtra provides safe and friendly pet transportation services to help move your pet throughout the UK, Europe and overseas.

You may be wondering why your pet would need to quarantine? Well, most places that require pet quarantine are island nations that are free from many transmissible diseases such as rabies. Quarantining pets prevents the possible spread of these diseases including to any local pets or wildlife. 

We know that moving to another country with your dog, cat or bird involves a lot of paperwork, so, before you even think about moving anything else, make sure your pet is actually allowed into the new country. You will also need to contact your vet to see what vaccinations and checks your pet needs before they are allowed to fly. The consulate of the destination country should be able to help you with this. Your pet will also be able to advise if they think your pet is suitable for a long haul journey or not as older pets and pets that have sensitivities may not be suited well to a hot or colder climate than the one that they are used to. 

You can also talk to the International Pet & Animal Transportation Association (IPATA) who will be able to give you advice on who is best suited to help you with your pet relocation. They can also support and guide you throughout the process. Working with these services will ensure you follow the rules and regulations of the destination country.

As previously mentioned moving your pets takes time, paying attention to the timeline of the process is key as there may be windows where you have to complete certain tasks or times when you can no longer do anything for your application so knowing when these times are will ensure that your process runs as smoothly as possible. 

One way to get your pet acclimatized to their relocation process is to buy an airline travel crate so they can get used to the space. Ensuring that the crate is seen as a positive for the pet and making it comfortable with a blanket and their favorite toy will make the pet less anxious when spending hours of travel inside it. If your pet is still anxious after gradually spending longer periods of time in the crate, your vet may be able to supply you with medication to relax the pet for travel. 

Worried about your dog or cat flying without you? Why not call the airline? They will give you all the options available for travel. They may also have additional rules for travel so finding these out in advance is beneficial, rather than having to pay extra fees later or delaying the move. If you’re unsure of the correct crate size they will also be able to recommend the right products for your pet, you may find that if your pet is under a certain weight they will be able to fly with you, in the cabin.

If you have a pet passport that was issued in Great Britain this is now NO longer valid, you must now apply for an Animal Health Certificate. If the passport was issued in Europe or Northern Ireland it is still valid and can be used. Pet passports are only valid for cats, dogs and ferrets. 

Travelling in the EU?

To get an Animal Health Certificate you must contact an authorized vet no more than 10 days before travelling, you may also need to supply the vet with proof of microchipping and vaccinations. Once the certificate is issued the pet is then valid for entry into the EU for 10 days, travel through the EU or returning to Great Britain for 4 months. 

If travelling to Finland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta the pet may also need tapeworm treatment. Make sure your pet has all their relevant documentation with them when they go to the port of entry in the destination country. 

Travelling outside the EU?

You will need to apply for an Export Health Certificate and fill out n export application form, an authorized vet will be able to help with this process. If travelling on a plane with your pet it will be transported in a specialized pressurized compartment in the hold with the other live cargo.

Discover GMS Xtra’s reliable pet moving services

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *