Moving Abroad Checklist
If you’re moving abroad, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed by everything you need to sort out before the big day. It’s more complicated than moving within your country due to added layers of immigration, customs, shipping, and much more, which is why it is important to have a solid plan in place.
With years of experience in overseas moves, we know that the key to a successful experience is all in the planning. We’ve put together a moving abroad checklist for you to download and print, providing you with all of the information you need to ease the unwanted stress an overseas move can bring.
Once you have accepted your quote from your moving company, you will need to start planning everything else.
- Friends and Family – Now that everything is set in stone, it’s time to tell your family and friends the address of your new home.
- Packing & Disposal – This is the perfect time to downsize your load. Take time to consider what items you will need to take and what will be sold or donated to charity. If you are doing your own packing, prepare with necessary boxes, tape, suitcases, bubble wrap, etc.
- Insurance – We can provide insurance for your belongings. Simply get in touch with us to discuss this option.
- Bank, Credit & Debit Cards – Notify your bank/s of your change of address.
- Documentation – Make sure you have emailed all of the correct documentation to us. We can provide you with most of this but simply ask for advice if you’re unsure. Without the correct documentation, we cannot move you.
- Settle Your Balance – You may have already done this during the booking process, however at this point, any outstanding balance must be settled.
- Exchange Currency – If you are looking to exchange a large sum of money, we can advise on the best solution.
- Subscriptions – Remember to inform all services of your change in address. This may include TV subscriptions, for example.
- Doctor/Dentist – Ensure you de-register with your current dentist and start looking for a new alternative at your new destination.
- Local Authority/Council – Inform the relevant authorities that you are moving away.
- Mail – Set up a redirect with your relevant national mail service
- Driving License – Inform the relevant vehicle office of your change of address and register your vehicle if required to do so.
- Children – Make sure the school is aware of your leave date.
- Pets – If required, arrange housing alternatives for your pets.
1 Week Before
Your moving date is fast approaching! It’s time to consider your utilities and the other fine details.
- Insurance – If you’re insuring your goods with us, now is the time to ensure you’ve completed your insurance form and emailed it to us.
- Electricity/Gas/Water – Contact your existing suppliers and inform them of your move.
- Milk/Newspaper/Windows – Settle any outstanding accounts and begin to cancel these services.
- Keys – Ensure that the keys to your new home will be available in time of your move.
- Fridge/Freezer – Empty and defrost anything in your fridge and freezer.
1 Day Before
With the majority already sorted, there are a few small details left to consider.
- Washing Machine & Dishwasher – Empty the drain pipes so they don’t leak in transit.
- Food & Drink – Make sure you are prepared with enough food and drink for the next day or two. Your fridge or cooking appliances may be disconnected, so bear this in mind.
- Sleep Well – Tomorrow will be a big day, so sleep well and get some rest.
The Moving Day
The day has finally arrived, it’s now time to finalise your move.
- Bedding – Remove all bedding and clearly label it for immediate unpacking at your new address.
- Crew Arrival – Make sure to show the team leader around your property, showing them anything that is or isn’t going to your new address.
- Completion – Once everything has been loaded into the vehicle by our team, we will walk through your property with you to ensure everything is in order.
- Before Leaving – Take note of all the relevant metre readings and arrange a key transfer.
We hope you find our moving abroad checklist helpful. Should you have any questions or are looking for an experienced moving company to get started, get in touch with the specialists at Global Moving Services today.